Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
For the Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 to 2 tbsp water
For the Flan
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 14 oz condensed milk (sweeten)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 whole eggs
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. To make the syrup, mix sugar and water in a small pot and cook over low heat; mix constantly until the sugar dissolves into clear syrup.
3. While the syrup is cooking; preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. In a large mixing bowl add eggs.
5. Beat the eggs with a hand mixer or a stand mixer thoroughly at a medium speed
6. Add the condensed and evaporated milk to the bowl and blend further using your mixer.
7. then add 1 tbsp of vanilla.
8. Mix thoroughly at medium speed.
9. When your caramel is ready, pour into a 9″ round baking/cake.
10. Move around to coat the sides evenly of the caramel or syrup.
11. Alternately, you can use muffin tins or a loaf pan or pan or 4-6 oz mini Porcelain Ramekins Bake ware.
12. When using a muffin tin, pour the syrup into each cup one at a time and use a spatula to spread the caramel up the sides of the cups or Mini Ramekins. Since the syrup is scalding and the pan can get very hot while coating, use caution doing both.
13. Set aside and let cool. (60-90 seconds).
14. When the caramel has hardened, add beaten eggs/milk mixture to the pan or muffin tins/ramekins.
15. Place the filled pan or ramekins into a larger pan filling the larger pan with water underneath.
16. Make sure to fill the pan underneath until the water level reaches almost to the top of the baking dish.
17. Place in oven and bake for 60 minutes. When the flan is done, test with a toothpick and run a knife along the edges of the flan to separate it from the sides of the pan.
18. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 2-3 hours or let it set overnight.
19. When ready to serve, turn the flan onto a plate and pour the remaining caramel over it.
1. The Mango Powder used was 4:1